US Senator does not want to step down – level 3
69-year-old Senator Bob Menendez of New Jersey faces corruption charges; however, he defiantly refused to resign, explaining to reporters that the 480,000 dollars in cash discovered at his home was meant for emergency use.
He disclosed that he had been withdrawing cash for emergencies for three decades due to his family’s history of property confiscation in Cuba, even though he was born in New York. Menendez expressed concern over the rush to judge him and remove him from office. The indictment accuses Menendez and his wife of using his position in the Senate to benefit Egypt’s government. Large sums of cash, gold bars, and a Mercedes-Benz were found at his New Jersey residence, with three businessmen also facing charges.
Prominent Democrats, including New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy and Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, have called for his resignation, Menendez remains steadfast in his refusal to step down.
Difficult words: confiscation (taking or seizing someone’s property with authority), indictment (a formal charge), prominent (important or famous), steadfast (staying the same for a long time and not changing quickly or unexpectedly).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What is the Senator’s response to the accusations of corruption and calls for his resignation?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.