US snowstorm – level 3
A deadly storm hit the US and paralyzed New York in deep freeze.
The lethal storm is identified as a bomb cyclone, defined as a rapidly deepening area of pressure that causes severe ice, snow, and wind. The snowstorm cut power to hundreds of thousands of houses and businesses and disabled emergency response efforts. It left almost all fire trucks in New York City stranded.
Buffalo is a city near the Canadian border, and it is one of the worst hit places. The blizzard blasted the city and is considered the worst in 45 years.
The governor called it an epic once-in-a-lifetime weather disaster. At least 13 people died, and this number may rise as people find more bodies in vehicles or buried in the snow. Although the weather conditions in some of the hardest-hit areas improved, more snowfall may happen throughout the week.
Difficult words: paralyze (to feel impossible to move or function), blizzard (a severe snowstorm with high winds), epic (exceptionally long and extreme).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos