USA and China Trade Problems – level 2
The USA and China are trying to make trade deals, but they failed to do this. The USA said that it would raise tariffs on billions of dollars of Chinese imports. China said that it would also raise tariffs on about 60 billion dollars’ worth of US imports.
The stock market fell quickly in response, and markets opened and closed with low numbers.
President Trump said that the USA needs to have a strong economy and that he will work with China. They are going to meet again next month at G20, an important international meeting in Japan.
Difficult words: tariff (a tax that you pay to buy or sell things between countries), import (things that you sell to another country), the stock market (a market where people buy and sell parts of companies; these parts are called stocks or shares).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.