USA and Cuba – level 1
The USA and Cuba were enemies. There was no diplomacy between them. Now, the situation is changing.
The two countries renew the diplomacy between them. John Kerry is an American leader. He talks with other countries. He comes to Cuba. He visits the American embassy in Cuba. He talks about the new situation. People are happy about this.
In the past, there was no American flag at the embassy. Now, people put it back.
Difficult words: were/was (past of are/is), enemy (not a friend), diplomacy (an official place for two countries to talk), embassy (a building with people from a different country; these people speak for their country).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you think that this is good for Cuba and the USA?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.