USA and Venezuela – level 2
The US is challenging the legitimacy of Venezuela’s president because he will not step down to another leader who the people voted for. The Venezuelan president is ignoring the world’s requests to give up his power.
The American president asked a leader to help America with this problem. This leader wanted to overthrow Nicaragua’s government in the 1980s, which means that he might want to overthrow Venezuela’s government. America hopes to get Venezuela’s military to stop supporting the president there.
However, this can backfire if people see this as the US trying to force change. They may not want to support the other leader.
Difficult words: legitimacy (lawfulness), overthrow (take over), backfire (when a solution becomes a problem).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos