Vaccine Volunteers – level 3
Bonnie Blue is Chicago, USA´s first COVID-19 vaccine participant and one of more than 25,000 people who volunteered for the Moderna vaccine trial.
It is a blind study where participants do not know if they are getting a COVID-19 vaccine or a placebo.
Blue is a 68-year-old asthmatic Black woman, and she fits into three high-risk categories for COVID-19. She received her second and final injection, and for the next two years, researchers will study her body´s reaction to the injections and if she is protected from COVID-19.
Blue gets about a $1,300 dollar stipend to cover travel and her time for the two years. She says that her friends were concerned about her severe health problems. However, she is convinced that she is doing the right thing, and that she is helping humanity.
Difficult words: blind study (a type of study in which the patients and sometimes even their doctors do not know which drug or treatment is being given), placebo (a substance that is used as a control in testing new drugs, and it has no therapeutic effect), injection (medicine given to someone through a syringe or a shot), stipend (some money for work).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.