Vatican on Gender Identity – level 3
The Vatican released a 31-page paper which explains in detail how Catholic schools, parents and others should talk about ‘gender theory’.
The document says that ‘radical’ forms of gender identity are based on ‘nothing more than a confused concept of freedom in the [area] of feelings and wants’. The paper goes on to say that the idea of being transgender or gender neutral is not real.
Some LGBTQ groups were quick to criticise the Vatican, as they see the matter differently. People wrote the document in February 2019 but they released it now in June, which is Pride Month.
Such timing also raised some questions. People chose june to be the LGBT Pride Month to remember the Stonewall rebellion, which took place at the end of June 1969. The rebellion was a demonstration against police attacks on people in a gay bar in New York.
It is important to say, though, that the document also calls for respect for everyone. It says: ’No one should suffer bullying, violence, insults or unjust discrimination based on their specific characteristics.’
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.