Venezuela Vote – level 1
People in Venezuela vote for 277 officials for the government. The vote is very important for the Venezuelan president, Nicolas Maduro. It is a chance for him to get full control over the government.
Some political parties are not happy with the vote. They do not believe that the vote is fair and free. They say that there must be international observers. Observers watch the vote. They make sure that the vote is fair. International observers are usually the United Nations and the European Union.
Officials think that only between 25% and 36% of people will vote. It is the lowest number in the last ten years. The government is trying to make people come and vote. The government gives voters money or food if they come.
Difficult words: political party (a group of people in the government who have the same opinions and ideas), international (something that exists or happens between countries), voter (a person who votes or can vote).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.