Venezuela Vote – level 2
Venezuelan president, Nicolas Maduro wanted to get full control over the government.
People voted for 277 politicians for the government, but many political parties protested against the vote. They said that it was not sure that the vote would be fair and free. They were also unhappy that there were no international observers who would watch the vote and make sure that it was fair. International observers usually are the United Nations or the European Union.
Officials expected that between 25% and 36% of people would take part in the vote, which was the lowest number in ten years. The government wanted to make the number higher, and the president offered a special bonus to encourage people to take part in the vote.
Difficult words: observer (somebody who watches something happen but he does not take part in it), bonus (a sum of money that a person gets when he does something above his usual task), encourage (to make somebody want to do something or continue doing it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.