Venice and cruise ships – level 2
In Venice, Italy, the government said that cruise ships could not go into the historic center of Venice.
So when a large cruise ship came to the center for the first time since the coronavirus started, hundreds of people protested. People used small boats to block the water, play music, and shout at the ship.
Some protesters explained their feelings. They said that this model of tourism was hurting the city.
A director for the cruise ships responded that Venice is a place where many journeys start and stop. He said that it could be a problem for business if they changed the journeys, and he added that they were trying to fix the issues with the city.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.