Very big jellyfish – level 3
Described as a gentle giant of the jellyfish world, this huge barrel jellyfish made an appearance in an estuary near St Mawes in Cornwall.
Marine awareness officer Matt Slater and his dog Mango decided to swim out for a closer look and captured this incredible footage.
The alien-looking creature weighs a whopping 20 kilos and is said to measure up to one metre in diameter.
More barrel jellyfish are said to have started turning up around Cornwall and this is down to an increase in their food source.
Despite their size, barrel jellyfish are harmless to humans, and are more aware of the water world than we think, constantly swimming up and down in the water looking for plankton.
Matt has also reported sightings of compass and moon jellyfish in Cornish waters.
Cornwall’s north coast has also seen huge numbers of blue jellyfish which, unlike barrel jellyfish, can give a mild sting.
Difficult words: gentle (nice), giant (very big), huge (very big), estuary (area where a river meets the sea), footage (video), alien (creature from another world), creature (something that lives), whopping (very large).
When you swim in the sea, are you afraid of jellyfish?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.