Very heavy man has a problem – level 3
A 300 kilogram (47 stone/661 pound) man shocked doctors when he was rushed to hospital in China. Sun Liang, who is just 22-years-old, became ill last week and couldn’t move himself in his own home.
When an ambulance arrived at his house, paramedics were unable to move him onto a stretcher, so a dozen security men were sent to help shift him. Sun’s doctor said he was unconscious and hardly breathing.
The 22-year-old was over six kilograms and a half when he was born, and his appetite increased gradually as he grew up. Sun’s uncle said that his appetite is so big that he can eat triple the amount a normal person can. When he was sent to hospital, he had acute kidney failure and was in a critical condition. Sun’s doctors said he can live a long life if he can reduce his weight by more than half.
Difficult words: rush (quickly move), stretcher (bed for carrying someone injured), dozen (twelve), shift (move), unconscious (not able to see, move and feel in the normal way), appetite (to want food), acute (very strong), kidney (one of the two organs in your lower back which cleans blood).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos