Very Hot Weather in India – level 3
A heat wave in India has meant even the roads have melted. Temperatures have soared to 47°C in some parts and the heat has now claimed 1,700 lives in just one week. This year’s seen the highest numbers of deaths caused by the heat since 1995.
The searing weather has left tens of thousands of people in New Delhi without power supply due to an overused electricity grid. Local hospitals have also been struggling to treat victims of heatstroke over the past few days. Authorities have warned people to stay out of the sun,
cover their heads and drink plenty of water.
The monsoon is forecast to hit the southern state of Kerala next week before sweeping across the country. But it will be weeks before the cooling rains meets India’s arid plains.
Difficult words: soar (to increase quickly), searing (extremely hot), struggle (to do something difficult and to have problems doing it), heatstroke (fever and weakness caused by being outside in the heat of the sun for too long), monsoon (a lot of rain for a long time), arid (dry and hot).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.