Very old beer in Jerusalem – level 2
People say that Jesus turned water into wine, and there is not anything about beer. That could be for a good reason, as beer back then did not taste nice.
A team of experts at Tel Aviv University identified the strain of wheat used for beer in the Holy Land 2 millennia ago. A brewery in Jerusalem produced a craft beer which tastes like the beer from Jesus’ time.
During His time, water was often unsafe to drink, so people drank alcoholic drinks instead. However, there was a much lower percentage of alcohol in the drinks than these days.
If you were hoping to try this old beer, you are out of luck. People at the brewery drank all 20 litres that they produced, and they are not planning on brewing any more.
Difficult words: strain (a kind, a type), wheat (an important cereal from which people make flour for bread and pasta), craft beer (a beer made in a traditional way).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos