Very old pizza – level 2
Archaeologists discovered a fresco resembling a pizza in Pompeii’s ruins.
They found the painting during excavations in Pompeii’s Regio IX area. The fresco shows round bread on a tray with fruits. Surprisingly, it includes an object which looks like a pineapple, although Europeans discovered the fruit much later. Experts believe the bread was seasoned with spices or herb cheese spread. Inspiration for the painting probably comes from a Greek tradition of giving gifts to guests.
The director of Pompeii’s archaeological park compares it to pizza, which started as a simple dish and later, it got popular worldwide. But experts are still discussing the fruit on the pizza.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the opinions of experts about the fruit on the pizza discovered in Pompeii's ruins?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.