Very old pizza – level 3
A fresco resembling a pizza has been found in the ruins of Pompeii, dating back 2,000 years.
The fresco, discovered during excavations in Pompeii’s Regio IX area, depicts a round focaccia bread on a silver tray with various fruits. Surprisingly, the image includes an object that looks like a pineapple, even though Europeans didn’t encounter the fruit until much later. Experts believe the bread was seasoned with spices or herb cheese spread. The still life is thought to be inspired by the Greek tradition of offering gifts to guests. This discovery reflects the contrast between a simple meal and the luxury of artistic representation.
The director of Pompeii’s archaeological park draws parallels to pizza, originating as a humble dish and now beloved worldwide. However, the inclusion of fruit on pizza remains a topic of debate.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What are the implications of this fresco for the global pizza industry today?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.