Very small apples – level 3
Nikofor Ivanov lives in Yakutsk, a Siberian city built on permafrost that is located about 450 kilometers south of the Arctic Circle, and he grows a type of frost-resistant apples the size of pearls.
The apples can withstand extreme weather conditions in Siberia, they’re crunchy like ordinary apples, and they taste like apples, too. Winter temperatures in Yakutsk can drop as low as -60 degrees Celsius, and the region experiences a below-zero winter climate for much of the year.
Local plants had to adapt to such an environment by decreasing their size, growing close together low to the ground, and remaining small, typically only centimeters tall. Local biologists first observed this back in the 1970s when the new type of dwarf apples was born.
Ivanov says that harvesting the micro apples is painstaking and laborious, and he never harvests all of them. The man tried to make jam and preparations for the winter; however, it was too difficult, so he just ate the apples by the handful.
Difficult words: permafrost (a thick layer of soil that remains frozen throughout the year), withstand (to remain undamaged or unaffected by something), painstaking (great care and effort to do something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos