Veterans Block Roads – level 1
Kosovo is a part of Serbia until the 1990s. A war starts between Albanians and Serbians. Albanians separatists want to leave Serbia. Over 10,000 people die.
This month, Albanian war veterans from Kosovo block roads. They want to stop a visit by the Serbian president. They burn tires. They put big pieces of wood and big cars in the roads.
During the war, one veteran says that he and other soldiers stop tanks. He says that they can stop the president, also.
Difficult words: separatist (someone who wants a part of a country to be a free country), veteran (someone who is in a war), tires (the ‘circles’ on a car that move the car).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos