Veterans throw away their medals – level 1
Britain starts to bomb Syria. Some people agree with this, but some people don’t. There is a group of veterans in the UK. The group’s name is “Veterans for Peace”. It has 169 members.
The veterans do not agree with the bombing. They protest in London. They talk about war. They say that it is a bad thing. The veterans do not want their medals anymore. They throw their medals away.
This is an emotional moment for the veterans.
Difficult words: agree (to think that it is good to do something), veteran (an ex-soldier), peace (when there is no war or fighting), medal (a fancy piece of metal which is given to a soldier).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about what the veterans did?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos