Village in Israel and Palestine – level 2
In the West Bank of Israel, Israelis are destroying part of a Palestinian village. Israel says that the village was too close to a security area near East Jerusalem. However, agreements between Israel and Palestine say that the village is in a Palestinian neighbourhood.
Israeli leaders say that the buildings were a threat, illegal and uninhabited. They say that it is possible that terrorists could hide in them, so they needed to remove them.
Palestinians say that Israel wants the land, and they filed a war crime claim. They are asking for help from other countries.
Difficult words: threat (a danger), uninhabited (when no one lives somewhere), file a war crime claim (say that someone commits a serious crime when countries are fighting one another).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos