Virginia Protest – level 2
The Virginia governor declared a state of emergency in Richmond that lasts from Friday until Tuesday. On January 20, there is going to be a demonstration of people who do not agree with new gun control legislation.
Organizers expect 50,000 people to attend the demonstration, and they ask demonstrators to keep it peaceful.
The state of emergency bans guns from the Richmond grounds. The governor decided to declare the state of emergency after he received some worrying information. The police expect that militia groups and hate groups may come to the demonstration.
In 2017, a man drove his car into protesters in another town in Virginia. He killed one person and injured several people. Officials want to protect the demonstrators in Richmond and make sure that a similar incident does not happen again.
Difficult words: gun control legislation (a law that controls the sale and keeping of guns), grounds (an area), militia group (a violent group of people who think that they protect other people’s rights).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos