Virtual power plant – level 2
Some of the biggest companies such as GM, Ford, or Google are trying to solve the global energy crisis. They are working together to increase the use of virtual power plants.
Virtual power plants use modern software to reduce energy consumption of some electric appliances such as heaters or cars. The software knows if a shortage of electricity is happening, and it can switch the appliances off.
Virtual power plants already work well in Germany and Australia, and experts believe that they will become very popular in United States, too.
Difficult words: energy crisis (not enough electricity in a country or region), virtual (something that exists only in a computer), shortage (the situation when things are lacking).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos