Visiting the Forbidden City – level 1
In Germany, tourists can see something new. They can see a secret Nazi compound called the ‘Forbidden City’. They cannot go alone. They must go in groups with a guide.
The compound is a secret in WWII. It is inside of a forest. It is behind a fence. The Nazis plan WWII there. They use the underground bunkers to hide.
The Soviet Union is in charge of East Germany after WWII. The Soviet Union also uses the compound. Its 40,000 soldiers stay there. In 1994, the Soviets leave. They take everything.
Difficult words: compound (a group of buildings in one area and a wall around all of it), forbidden (you cannot see or visit something forbidden), bunker (a partly underground place for the army), the Soviet Union (Communist Russia).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos