Volcano erupts near Tonga – level 3
An underwater volcano erupted off the Tonga Islands on Saturday, and it triggered a tsunami warning for several South Pacific island nations.
Residents were told to move to higher grounds immediately; however, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center base in Honolulu, Hawaii, later canceled the warnings, adding that the warning remained for Hawaii. Fiji also issued a warning, telling residents to avoid the shorelines due to strong currents and dangerous waves. Japan warned of waves as high as three meters, and waves of 1.2 meters hit the south of the country.
The eruption of the Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha’apai volcano was heard across the South Pacific, and eventually as far as the US. Many parts of Tonga were covered in ash; the capital was just 65 kilometers south of the eruption. People there experienced a near-total blackout of power, phone lines, and Internet services.
Difficult words: trigger (to start something suddenly), tsunami (a long, high sea wave caused by an earthquake), blackout (a short time when the basic services stop for a building or area).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos