Volcano in Ecuador – level 2
Cotopaxi Volcano is Ecuador’s highest active volcano. The volcano began to spew ash and smoke after a tremor last Friday. It looked amazing.
One town lies 45 kilometres north of the volcano, and some people came together to watch the eruption.
The volcano rises to nearly 6,000 metres and the ash spewed up to 2 kilometres in the air. Later, it covered nearby towns.
People do not need to leave the area, but there is a state of emergency. People watch the volcano closely. Before this eruption, it erupted 75 years ago in 1940.
Difficult words: spew (to let out with a lot of force), ash (the black or grey stuff which appears when something is burnt), tremor (when the ground shakes).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are there volcanos in your country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.