Volcano Popocatepetl – level 2
Popocatepetl is a volcano in Mexico that erupted in February because of a powerful earthquake.
Recently, the volcano erupted again, and it spewed ash and smoke into the air which you could see for miles. Its activity started 21st September in the evening.
Ash fell in a nearby town, and the government warned local residents to stay away from the dangerous area.
Difficult words: spew (send out with a lot of force), ash (a very soft grey material which is produced when something burns), resident (a person who resides – lives somewhere).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos