Volkswagen in trouble – level 1
Volkswagen is in trouble. It cheats. It puts special software in its cars.
If you drive normally, the emissions controls are off. This means that the emissions are high. If you test the car, the emissions controls are on. The car shows that the emissions are low.
This is a lie. The emissions are not low. They are too high. Volkswagen must pay a lot of money. It can pay up to 18 billion dollars.
Difficult words: cheat (to do a bad thing; to trick other people), emissions controls (a thing or things in a car which control the emissions and clean them), emissions (things which come out of cars).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about what Volkswagen did?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.