Voting in Congo – level 1
The Congo is a country in the centre of Africa. When there is a new leader, there is always fighting and trouble.
There is an election. People elect the new president. However, the election officials do not want to show the winner. People are afraid that someone is changing their votes.
We do not know who wins. However, all three candidates are saying that they won.
Difficult words: election (electing – voting/choosing the leader), election officials (the people who organise and run the election), vote (a vote shows who one person wants as the next president), won (past of ‘win’).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos