War Crimes in Syria – level 2
The conflict in Syria started nine years ago. Hundreds of thousands of people died and about 13 million had to leave their homes.
The United Nations investigated the conflict, and it sent out a 21-page report last Wednesday. They based the report on hundreds of interviews and analyses of photos, videos and satellite images. The report says that the airstrikes launched by the USA, Syria and Russia in Syria may be war crimes. War crimes are attacks against civilians or civilian areas.
Difficult words: based on (created from), launch (start, fire, attack), civilian (a person who is not a fighter, not a soldier, “normal” person).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos