War in Ukraine – level 3
Heavy fighting between government troops and pro-Russian rebels, which are according to the Western media to be backed by Russia, continues in Ukraine. At least one soldier has died and 9 were injured in the east of the country.
The UN Security Council condemned the use of weapons prohibited by the Minsk Agreements and called for an immediate return to the ceasefire regime. Nearly 10,000 people have died in the conflict, which erupted in 2014.
To avoid a humanitarian crisis, Ukraine says that it is preparing a possible evacuation of the town of Avdiivka where the majority of the violence is happening.
Difficult words: condemn (to criticise), Minsk Agreements (an agreement to halt the war in the Donbass region of Ukraine), ceasefire (not fighting), regime (programme).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos