War on drugs in Mexico – level 3
Forty-two suspected drug cartel henchmen were killed by Mexican security forces yesterday in one of the bloodiest shoot-outs in a decade of gang violence. One policeman also lost his life in the three-hour gunfight on a ranch in Tanhuato near the Jalisco state border.
Officials say the gunfight began when security forces alerted to an invasion of the ranch, approached the property and were fired upon by a group of armed men. Most of those killed are believed to have been members of Jalisco New Generation, one of the area’s most powerful drug cartels, responsible for the deaths of more than two dozen police officers since March.
Mexico’s National Security Commission director Monte Alejandro Rubido told a press conference his team recovered 36 long-armed rifles, two handguns, one active grenade launcher, one caliber 50 rifle, and an undetermined number of ammunition.
Yesterday’s death toll was one of the heaviest to hit Mexico since president Enrique Peña Nieto took office in December 2012. He’s pledged to put an end to years of gangland violence that have claimed more than a hundred thousand lives since 2007 alone.
Difficult words: suspected (when people think that you are guilty of something), henchman (a faithful follower who kills or hurts people), undetermined (not known), death toll (the number of people killed), pledge (to promise), gangland (where gangs are strong).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.