Warm World – level 2
Two organizations did separate studies about the world’s temperature. They found out that last year was the second hottest year since 1880 when scientists started to record the temperature.
NOAA, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, said that the only hotter year than 2019 was the year 2016. The organization also said that ocean heat content was the highest in 2019. NOAA scientists believe that sea levels are going up as a result of too much heat in the oceans.
NASA officials said that every decade since the 1960s is warmer than the last one. They believe that humans cause this change because they increase the amount of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere.
Difficult words: ocean heat content (the amount of heat in the ocean), decade (a period of 10 years), greenhouse gas (a gas that makes the atmosphere warmer).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos