Warsaw old street – level 1
Workers are building a new square in Warsaw, Poland. The square will have plants. It will look modern. But it will remember the old times, too.
A tall building, the Palace of Culture, is near the square. A leader named Joseph Stalin gives it to the city. Many houses are there in the past. But they get destroyed during World War II. Builders find old streets in the ground. The new square will look like the old streets. Builders find bases of old buildings with stones and tracks for trams.
Now, people have a chance to see the old streets. Soon, there will be new buildings.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do the new buildings being built near the square represent in terms of Warsaw's history?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.