Warsaw old street – level 3
Construction of Warsaw’s Central Square, set to be completed next year, has revealed buried remnants of old streets, uncovering the past of the Polish capital.
The project aims to create a green space while capturing modern energy with historical undertones. The square is overshadowed by the Palace of Culture, a Socialist Realist high-rise gift from Soviet leader Joseph Stalin in the 1950s. This landmark replaced post-World War Two rubble and is now part of the new Central Square project. The layout of the old streets will be reflected in the new design. Builders have found the foundations of former buildings, including paving and tram tracks. A challenge is deciding how to handle a stone platform used by communists for military parades, which conceals underground rooms that had different uses over time.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What is the history behind the Palace of Culture and what implications does this have for the present-day Central Square project?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.