Washington anti-abortion protests – level 2
In June 2022, the US Supreme Court canceled the US federal law which gave pregnant women the right to decide if they wanted an abortion.
Since that time, each US state has its own laws about abortion. This topic causes many arguments, and the US president wants to change the law again. He believes that women should be free to decide if they want to have a child. He doesn’t have enough support to make any changes in the law.
Last week, the March of Life took place in Washington DC. It is an anti-abortion protest which happens every year since 1973. Protesters want to make abortion completely illegal in the US.
Difficult words: federal (the country’s government and not a local government), abortion (a surgery which ends a pregnancy), anti-abortion (the idea that abortion is wrong).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos