Washington anti-abortion protests – level 3
On the 50th anniversary of the now-overturned Roe vs. Wade ruling, anti-abortion demonstrators lined the streets of Washington DC, United States.
The rally is called the March for Life and has happened every year since 1973. This rally was the first since June 2022 when the US Supreme Court overturned the important legislation. It had made access to abortion a federal right in the US. However, since its repeal, abortion is no longer protected under federal law, so individual states change access to abortion. Pro-life supporters want to completely ban abortions.
The issue is contentious in US politics, and President Biden pledged to try to restore abortion rights, but he cannot do a lot.
Difficult words: repeal (to cancel a law), pro-life (the idea that a pregnant woman shouldn’t have the freedom to choose an abortion), contentious (cause disagreement and argument).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos