Water and animals in the streets – level 3
Georgian officials say the relief effort is underway after severe flooding killed several people and created widespread damage in the capital Tbilisi. The Georgian President said he offered his deepest condolences to the families of the deceased.
He said it is a great tragedy when you suddenly lose a family member. Tbilisi’s mayoral office will provide financial assistance to eliminate the consequences of the natural disaster.
“The situation is difficult, but it can be handled, except for the fact that we cannot bring back those who died.”
At least nine people have died.
Deadly zoo animals were also prowling the streets of the capital after flooding caused damage to their cages, allowing them to escape. Tigers, lions, bears, wolves and a hippopotamus were among the more than 30 animals that escaped from the zoo overnight.
It is unclear as of yet if some of the human fatalities have been caused by the wild animals.
Some of the escaped animals have been killed or tranquilised, but residents were advised to stay indoors until they could be captured.
Heavy rains turned the river that flows through Tbilisi into a torrent that swept away dozens of buildings and cars. Authorities said the damage could amount to millions of dollars.
Difficult words: deceased (dead), mayoral (relating to the mayor), prowl (to walk around), fatality (death), tranquilise (to shoot with a drug to make an animal sleep), resident (a person who resides/lives somewhere), torrent (a strong and fast-moving stream of water).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.