Water in metro – level 1
Heavy rain hits Spain. In Madrid, there is the heaviest rainfall since 1972.
Water gets in the metro. People, who travel by the metro, cannot believe it. Videos on social media show how water pours inside. Some people scream. Two people go missing in Spain. One of them is a small boy. Water and mud sweep away a man in Aldea del Fresno. Two people die.
Water damages bridges and roads. Some public transport stops working. Madrid’s boss asks people to stay at home. Experts warn that more rain is coming. It can fall up to 120 liters of rain per square meter.
Difficult words: rainfall (how much rain falls in an area in some time), go missing (when nobody knows where someone is, usually after an accident), sweep away (to move something away from a place quickly).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures are in place to protect citizens from the effects of the heavy rainfall in Madrid?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.