Waterspouts in Cuba – level 3
A powerful force of nature captured on camera. This waterspout was one of a number seen in Playa Caimito in southern Cuba on Saturday. The spouts appeared amid a severe storm, and moved onshore, levelling homes and leaving dozens injured.
This resident said, “It was an enormous disaster, very big. My children and I were inside my home and thank God, my neighbour put my children under the bed. I was in the living room with all the rubble on top of me. It was horrible.”
According to local media, this is the first time waterspouts have been recorded in this area. Thankfully, it appears no one was killed, but days on, families in this town are still coming to terms with damage caused by the freak storm.
Difficult words: waterspout (a rotating column of water over the sea), dozens (many), enormous (very large), rubble (the broken pieces of a building), days on (days later), to come to terms with something (come to accept), freak (something which is abnormal or extremely unusual).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.