Weapons Against Hurricanes – level 2
From the 1950s, people started thinking if they could use nuclear weapons to weaken hurricanes.
One government organization said that it gets many of these questions every hurricane season, so it created a web page to explain why this would not work.
The organization said that only a few of the storms in the ocean become hurricanes. Also, the radioactive fallout from a nuclear weapon would create serious problems.
Recently, a news organization said that President Trump wanted to look into using nuclear weapons on a hurricane. However, he said that this was not true.
Difficult words: weaken (make weaker, less strong), radioactive fallout (the dangerous stuff that comes out after a nuclear weapon explodes).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos