Weapons on a ship – level 2
The US Navy met a ship in the Arabian Sea and the ship was full of guns.
There were thousands of weapons which were inside green plastic bags. At first, it was not clear who the guns were for and where the ship was going. In the past, the US Navy found similar guns on different ships, and these guns were for Houthi rebels in Yemen. Officials found out that the ship was coming from Iran, and it was a big problem because the US banned Iran to sell guns.
In 2014, war started in Yemen, and people brought many guns to the country illegally. The US and other countries tried to stop the war, but it was clear that the war would not end soon.
Difficult words: rebel (a person who fights against the government), ban (to officially stop something), illegally (against the rules of a country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos