Wearing Slippers in School – level 3
A primary school in England is the first one in the UK to allow students to wear slippers to class in a bid to improve grades. The school found out about a study which found that shoeless children were more likely to behave and do better in exams.
The school’s experience has so far proved the study right. One teacher said that the atmosphere in her classroom is calmer, and some teachers have chosen the more comfortable option. The school is now considering making slippers part of its compulsory uniform.
Apart from a calmer and quieter environment, the 10-year study covering 25 countries, also found that children wearing slippers are likely to go to school earlier, leave later and read more. In some classes, bullying was reduced.
Difficult words: bid (effort to achieve something), bullying (attacking somebody who is weaker than you).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.