Weather in Europe – level 2
Temperature records were broken in France, Germany, Poland and the Czech Republic last week. Heatwaves like this were deadly for Europe in the past.
In 2003 in France, extreme temperatures killed thousands of people. Last week, France’s national weather authority issued its highest-level weather alert for some areas of the country. Temperatures between 42° and 45° Celsius were predicted.
The Italian ministry of health reported extreme heat levels in 16 cities. Firefighters in Spain fought a big wildfire, and people think that the fire started because of the extreme temperatures.
Difficult words: issue (send out to many people), alert (a warning), heat (hotness).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos