Wedding ring history – level 2
The beginning is not clear for the tradition of wedding rings, but some experts believe that it started in ancient Egypt.
For people in Egypt, a ring showed eternity because it had no beginning and no end. They also believed in the vein of love, which connects to the heart. It is the vein in the fourth finger on the left hand, and it explains why people wear a wedding ring on this finger.
Later, this tradition came to Greece and then Rome, where they believed that the ring showed that a man owned his wife. During World War II, men gave rings to women as a promise that they would marry them when they returned home.
Diamond rings became popular in the 1950s; company De Beers said in its slogan that diamonds lasted forever. Today, 86% of engagement rings in the US are diamond rings.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.