Western Australia Storm – level 2
On Monday, a heavy storm hit the coastline of Western Australia. Weather experts said that such weather was very unusual in this part of Australia.
The Mangga tropical storm collided with a cold front, and the result was a very heavy storm. Heavy rain and strong wind damaged houses and electricity infrastructure. In Perth, more than 60,000 houses were without electricity, and it was not possible to repair the infrastructure until the storm ended.
Strong winds reached the speed of more than 60 mph, and in Geraldton, they caused a dust storm. Hundreds of people called emergency services for help; however, officials did not report any injuries.
Difficult words: collide (to come into a violent contact), cold front (a wave of cold air), infrastructure (the physical things that give services like water, gas, or electricity), dust storm (a storm with strong winds of dust and sand).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.