Whale Saves a Train – level 1
A metro train has an accident in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. The train comes to the last stop. All passengers get off the train. The train continues to a parking area. But it does not stop. It breaks a fence.
It stops on a big sculpture. The sculpture looks like a whale’s tail. It is ten meters high. The driver is lucky. He does not get hurt.
The sculpture is plastic. But is does not break. It saves the train and the driver, too.
Officials do not know how to move the train away. One problem is that the sculpture is high. The second problem is the place. The sculpture is in a park near a pond. It is very difficult to use some heavy machines to move the train.
Difficult words: passenger (a person who travels somewhere, but he is not a driver), sculpture (a work of art that is usually from stone or metal), whale (a very large animal that lives in the sea).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos