Whale Saves a Train – level 2
On Monday, a metro train drove through the barriers of the final stop in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
All passengers left the train at the station before, and the train continued to a parking area. But it did not stop and it ended up on a sculpture of a whale´s tail.
A Dutch architect made two sculptures of whale tails 20 years ago. They were ten meters high and they were made from plastic. When the architect saw the train sitting on one of the tails, he was surprised that the train did not damage the sculpture.
The sculptures were in a park by a pond which made it difficult to remove the train.
Difficult words: barrier (a fence that stops a person or a vehicle to get somewhere), sculpture (a large work of art that is usually made from stone or metal), architect (a professional who builds buildings or structures).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.