Whale Saves a Train – level 3
On Monday, a metro driver escaped injury when the front carriage rammed through the end of an elevated section of rails, and it was caught by a sculpture of a whale’s tail.
The incident happened at the final stop of a metro line on the southern edge of Rotterdam, the Netherlands. The train dropped off passengers at the station before continuing to a parking area, which was where the incident occurred. The two whale tails were installed by architect Maarten Struijs almost 20 years ago. Struijs said that he expected the tail would have been damaged because it was made of plastic. However, it did not seem to be the case.
The train was balancing 10 meters off the ground in the park by a pond, and officials were discussing how to salvage it because it was very difficult to place heavy cranes at the location.
Difficult words: ram (to run or drive into something very hard), to be the case (to be true, to be accurate), balance (to be in a steady position in order not to fall), salvage (to rescue).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos