Whales in Calais – level 3
Ten pilot whales were found stranded on a beach in the French region of Calais. Authorities managed to safely return three of the long-finned whales back to the sea. However, by the time rescue teams arrived, six of them had already died. Fire crews sprayed the animals with water as they tried to save them. The last whale died as rescuers attempted to return it to the water.
Officials say the pod were likely from the same family and the beaching may have followed the death of a dominant male.
“The first big fact we can confirm is that there is a large dominant male which is dead and a female, roughly of the same age, which is also dead. Personally, I believe these animals were migrating. I think that the male or female, or both, died out at sea and all of the group drifted ashore at the same time.”
It’s the first time in thirty years that this number of whales has beached in the French region.
Autopsies will be carried out at the University of Liege to determine the cause of death.
Difficult words: stranded (unable to move), fin (a body part which a fish uses to swim), attempt (to try), pod (a group of whales), drift (to be carried by water), autopsy (an examination of a dead body), determine (to find out).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.