Whales Strand – level 2
Australia experienced the worst mass stranding of whales in its history. Mass stranding is a situation when whales or dolphins get stuck on a beach or in shallow water.
Mass stranding happens quite often in Tasmania; however, scientists do not know why. Tasmania is the only part of Australia that experiences mass stranding regularly.
This time, 500 pilot whales stranded, and rescuers saved 50 whales. Rescuers did all that they could to save even more whales; however, it was very difficult to get the animals back in the water.
A marine scientist said that pilot whales are very social animals. It is possible that some whales choose the wrong way, and the others follow them.
Difficult words: stuck (unable to move), strand (when a boat or a sea animal ends up in shallow water, and it cannot get back in deeper water), social (when someone or something enjoys being with others or lives in groups).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos